Over three centuries on the stage
Malibran theatre in Venice was opened in 1678 in the area where the houses of the family of Marco Polo used to be, close to Rialto. It belonged to one of the most important Venetian noble families, the Grimani.
Malibran theatre was actually known as San Giovanni Grisostomo theatre, to be renamed only in 1835 after the famous Spanish soprano Maria Malibran, who had accepted to perform here during Carnival.
Malibran theatre, which had an important role during the years when La Fanice was being restored after the fire, is still in use today.
- Cannaregio 5873, 30124 - Venezia
- +39 041 78 65 11
- Web Site
- Water bus Line 1, 2, N | Rialto