San Francesco della Vigna (Church)
At the origins of Venice
San Francesco della Vigna church in Castello district was completed in 1554. However, an older church previously existed on this terrain, a vineyard which had been donated to Franciscans by the Marco Ziani. That church was dedicated to Saint Mark, cause this was believed to be the place where an angel had appeared to Saint Mark, announcing him the future foundation of Venice by pronouncing the famous phrase “Pax tibi Marce Evangelista meus”.
In this Franciscan church (like Frari church), two interior chapels are dedicated to noble families who sponsored its construcion.
The facade of San Francesco della Vigna church is by Palladio, even if the rest of the building has been designed by Sansovino.
- Castello 2786, 30122 - Venezia
- +39 041 52 35 341
- Water bus Line 4.1, 4.2, 5.1, 5.2, | Celestia