The church of the ancient Greek community of Venice
San Giorgio dei Greci church was attended by the numerous Greek community of Venice.
Greek community was the second foreign community in Venice after Jews, Greek immigration having been fueled by the Turkish conquest of Constantinople in 1453.
San Giorgio dei Greci church has typical Orthodox features such as the matroneo (womens’ gallery), and the iconostasis, an altar screen decorated with 46 icons painted on an amazing golden background.
The exterior was designed by Lombardo, Chiona and Longhena. To remark the leaning bell tower.
San Giorgio dei Greci is close to Santa Maria Formosa square; its famous leaning campanile is visible from the canal.
- Castello 3412, Ponte dei Greci, 30122 - Venezia
- +39 041 52 26 581
- Opening hours
- All days
On Sundays 9:00-13:00
- Water bus Line 1, 2, 4.1, 4.2, 5.1, 5.2, 14, 15, 19, 20, N | San Zaccaria