Sacred and profane in Castello
San Zaccaria church in Castello, dedicated to the father of Saint John the Baptist and allegedly hosting his body, is located at a short walking distance from Saint Mark, towards East.
The today’s church was built in 1515, thought several previous churches existed here (first one in the IX century).
Its style is a mixture of Gothic (first architecht was Antonio Gambello) and Renaissance style (by Mauro Codussi). A benedictine convent is also part of the complex, and was for a longtime a source of gossip about San Zaccaria church, in relation to the behaviour of unruly girls forced by their families to enter the convent.
- San Polo 4693, Campo San Zaccaria, 30122 - Venezia
- +39 041 52 21 257
- Opening hours
- All days
On Sundays only at afternoon
- Water bus Line 1, 2, 4.1, 4.2, 5.1, 5.2, 14, 15, 19, 20, N | San Zaccaria