A Basilica in San Polo district
Frari church, complete name Basilica of Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari, was finished in 1338, but afterwards it went through over a century of works aiming at its enlargement. The Frari church is a Franciscan church: Frari means friars, from Franciscan friars who founded it. They had arrived in Venice in 1220 and were given this terrain in the district of San Polo by the doge. A convent is also part of the complex.
The Assunta, painted by Titian, is recognized to be the most important masterpiece within Frari church. In the basilica there is also a marble pyramid which contains the heart of sculptor Antonio Canova (the rest of the body was buried in his native town); however, the monument had been originally designed by Canova himself as a mausoleum for Titian.
- San Polo 3072, Campo dei Frari, 30125 - Venezia
- +39 041 27 50 462
- +39 041 27 50 494
- Web Site
- Full/Reduced 3€/1.5€
- Opening hours
- All days
On Sundays 13:00-18:00
- Water bus Line 1, 2, N | San Tomà