A Baroque facade on the Grand Canal
San Stae church is dedicated to Saint Eustace – Sant’Eustachio in Italian, then corrupted in this dialect form.
The current church is from 1678, architect Grassi; the facade is from 1709 by Rossi, who had won a competition over other 12 projects for the design of it.
It features many statues of virtues, saints and angels, and two reliefs on the life of Saint Eustace. It is a perfect example of Baroque style.The cost of this last work was paid for by doge Alvise Mocenigo, who is also buried here.
The interior of San Stae church contains various paintings by the most important Venetian artists of XVIII century, such as Tiepolo, Piazzetta and Ricci.
Campo San Stae is very easy to find as it faces the Grand Canal and has a homonym water bus stop right in front of it.
- Santa Croce 1981, Campo di San Stae, 30135 - Venezia
- +39 041 27 50 462
- +39 041 27 50 494
- Full/Reduced 3€/1.5€
- Opening hours
- All days
Closed on Sundays
- Water bus Line 1, N | San Stae